hello ᵔᴥᵔ may is always an interesting month for me. achievement unlocked: going to a fancy tea party! how was your may?? in the meantime, here’s my monthly wrap-up!
books of may *•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚
violet made of thorns‘ ambitious reach occasionally (cough mainly) exceeds its grasp, but it offers readers of burning enemies-to-lovers a vibrant distinctive treat with a proud, ambitious “bitchy” character. 2 stars. RELEASES JULY 26TH, 2022.
booked on a feeling was enjoyable at first, but like with most romances that disappoint me, it hastily, too-eagerly throws the readers into the romance without the proper build-up needed for satisfaction. 2 stars. RELEASES JULY 26TH, 2022.
night of the raven, dawn of the dove provided a fresh breath of air for me. no boring beginnings here! a good sign for a YA debut! if you’ve ever read mdzs, or any flirty x stoic ship dynamics, then you’ll definitely enjoy some of the scenes in this one. overall, the pacing and plot twists could’ve hit harder if there was sufficient build-up, but readers that enjoy court politics and ship dynamics where one relentlessly flirts with another just to get a reaction out of them will win with this one. 4.3 stars. RELEASES OCTOBER 18TH, 2022.
tread of angels was an intense ride that i’m still sorting my feelings about. i’m the type that loves miss rebecca roanhorse’s writing, so i almost bite my own arm off from excitement when i got sent an email from the publisher so i could read the arc and send in an honest review to see what i thought of it. THANK YOU AGAIN TO THEM BECAUSE WOW I REALLY DID ENJOY THIS. if you’re curious, this is a tale of the inescapable, self-destructive trap of consuming devotion, desire, and loyalty (good shit!). enjoy the ardent rush of lust and love provided and teased throughout, but do not disrespect this book by prioritizing an amorous, idealistic future above all else — this story is so much more than that. 4.5 stars. RELEASES NOVEMBER 15TH, 2022.
kaikeyi was epic. like, the type that would have an epic soundtrack. i did not grow up with these stories centered around hindu gods and heroes, and have never heard about the ramayana before the author’s note. this did not diminish my invested enjoyment kaikeyi’s story, the amount of tears i shed, and the dread my heart went through. overall, what an exquisite feminist and queer mythic retelling of kaikeyi, who is one of the most entrancing and complicated women i have ever had the honor of reading about. 4.5 stars. definitely recommend.
may goal ❃ ↷ ˊ-
- to read however-books-i-want / 69 books this year ✓
may had no 5 star reads CRIES
film/ tv shows ✧˚.
- [film] Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) ☆☆☆☆☆
- laughed hysterically. cried secretly since my mom was next to me. bonded with the messages and greater themes that inspired me to keep being in touch with the world. what a film. i’m definitely going to re-watch this one throughout the decades.
- [anime] Castlevania (2017) ☆☆☆☆½
- THIS IS SUCH AN UNDERRATED SHOW!!!!!!!!!!! the animation, the plot, the characters, the soundtrack…….. chef’s kiss
- [tv] Moon Knight (2022) ☆☆☆½
- first and last episodes were a bop. enjoyed this one!
- [tv] Stranger Things Vol. 4 Pt. 1 ☆☆☆☆☆
- the first season was the best one out of all of them until this one came out. s2 gave me more steve ❤ and s3 wasn’t memorable for me except for the end where i cried. but goddamn?? they did not hold back ANY punches with this newest season. that was one of the strongest season openers i’ve ever seen (yes i screamed i’m a scaredy cat) and episode 4. my girls that know, know!!!!
- [anime] SPY x FAMILY
- i will forever rave!!! i mean just look at this fanart.
life updates ↶*ೃ
from the heart ♡
- lmao this post is so late but i just celebrated my bday and i got lots of books and goodies so im grateful to be alive (I GOT THE 2ND MXTX BOOKS I CANNOT WAIT TO ANNOTATE)
- stressed about semester at sea! but i will get it done! it’s just lots of anxiety, but there is always a way
- i haven’t found reading as….. exciting as before. i know it’s just because of the books i’ve been reading, but it’s hard to get that excitement back. but also maybe i just need a break? idk, but it’s scaring me because books are a core part of me. i think i just need a book that’ll give me a hard reset
may music mood: crying as you’re trying to lift off the ground on those old two wheels (but actually here’s some good songs)
- daydreaming by harry styles
- good together by honne
- (you’re prob already listening to this but) running up that hill by kate bush (YESBABY)